Sunday, June 12, 2011

Oooh!

At the far edge of the yard we have a flower bed named Crazy Patch. We threw in a bunch of mixed wildflower seeds and enjoy the surprises that turn up. This is today's. How delicate and lovely is that?! I have no idea what kind of flower it is, but I bet the master gardener can ID it for me.


This one's blurry because I took the picture. I wanted to include it anyway because you can see the pretty foliage better in this shot.

This is why I love gardening. I haven't been out there a lot today and already I've seen two things that I've never ever seen before (this and the butterfly in the previous post). It's amazing to me that if you just pay attention right where you are, you will see new and wonderful things all the time. And sometimes you see things you've seen over and over again but they're still mind- blowing. Like, when's the last time you got tired of smelling peonies?

Update: Reddit does it again! It's love-in-a-mist, aka nigella. Neat!

4 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

I come from the reddits. Looks like a nigella aka "Love-in-a-mist"

threecollie said...

I love nigella! It is too bad it is so rarely grown.

Broken Barn Industries said...

@ MrBrownThumb: Welcome! I love the reddits!

@threecollie: Thanks for visiting and you're right- people really should grow more of this. I'd heard of it but didn't even know what it looked like until it showed up in Crazy Patch. I will definitely be collecting seeds and sowing LOTS more next year! PS: Love your blog and you have my sympathies in re your injury. I broke my leg last September.

Broken Barn Industries said...

And for anyone else lurking... MrBrownThumb and threecollie both have great blogs- go have a look!