Sunday, June 5, 2011

Scrub Pine

Close

I don't know very much about trees. We've always just called this a scrub pine. If it's not, will you please tell me what it is in comments? Anyway. Do you ever just take the time to really look at what's in front of you? For some reason last night, this particular tree caught my eye. Actually, it's been catching my eye more than usual this season because for the first time, I noticed that on windy days in the spring, so much pollen blows from it that it looks like it's smoking. Maybe it's a Smoky Pine, no?


Closer

The light wasn't that great and neither are my photography skills but I still wanted pictures. What do you call those rust colored things? Beginner pine cones? The start of new growth? I dunno.


About as close as I could get

I do know that it just looked cool last night and I like the rust color against the green needles and the grey of the trunk. It's not a handsome, stately tree like the other pines, but for the first time, I saw that it does have its own peculiar beauty.

2 comments:

the engineer said...

Why must everything have a formal name? Just call it Alan.

Ink said...

Really? Alan??? The poor tree has enough problems as is, don't you think?