Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Juno" Plot Spoiler

Okay, this isn't about the barn or pies or flowers, but what is lately? It's winter. So I went to the movies yesterday and saw "Juno". It's been getting rave reviews. Welp. The acting's really good. The songs are good. The movie is stupid.
Plot spoiler: Knocked up 16 yr old Juno instantly finds perfect adoptive parents. Her parents never get mad. The father of the baby never gets upset or cares what Juno does. His parents never even find out that he knocked her up. They get back together after. And play guitars. So cute. The end.
I guess the thing that pisses me off most about the movie is that they made light of the bond you form with a baby you've carried for nine months. Juno doesn't want to see the baby, doesn't want an open adoption, photos, nothing. I don't think she's portrayed as being in denial or too immature to have so much as a passing thought about the future. I think they just conveniently glossed over all the complicated parts. K, I'm probably biased because I'm a mom, but life does not work like that.

Plus, those of you who know me know that I was graced with my (now grown) children when I was a teenager. Trust me, our world wasn't filled with orange tic-tacs and quirky little love songs. This movie made me mad. So cute. The end.

No comments: