Saturday, July 18, 2009

This Morning

I got my first cuppa Joe and sat on the front steps to smoke and watch the hummingbird wars. The sun was just coming up, burning off a bit of fog. Everything was wet from last night and the stream, aka Dry Belly Gulch, is running.

There are pines blocking my view of the horse field across the street when I sit there. So I am looking at them, kinda zoning, trying to wake up, when I realize I am seeing that distinctive summer red coat that deer get. That got my attention. I looked and could just see a doe's face through the pine branches, maybe 50 feet away. She was looking right at me, ears sticking way up all cute-like. Slowly, I got up and moved to the right where I could see her better. More of the looking right at me, and then she HUFFED, like she was annoyed with me for disturbing her, and bounded off, huffing the whole way.

She is probably in the woods now, blogging about the human she saw this morning. Deer must need really big keyboards. Hoof-sized.

I didn't have the camera with me, so you will have to make your own picture. In your head. Make it pretty. Or you can draw one. If you decide to do that, I'd like to see it.

PS: We got 1,817 hits yesterday. Thanks you guys! You're awesome!

No comments: