Monday, June 20, 2011

Tree Guy. Er, Certified Arborist



 
Last week I called a tree guy to get an estimate on taking down the dead birch.  He was, in fact, a certified arborist.  I love getting to talk to certified people who know stuff.  Not only did he give me an estimate for the birch, we toured the entire property and I learned a lot about our trees.  He also told me a bunch of stuff I just really didn't want to hear.  Overall, I would rate the visit informative but depressing.  

For instance, the birch died because of birch borers.  We have two other  birches and he showed me evidence that they're infested too and will die within the next few years.  Suck!  I love my birches, damn it.  

Then I learned that these are not "scrub pines".  They're Austrian pines.  We have two of them.  The new growth at the tips of branches are called candles.  I guess it does look candelabra- ish.  Tree Guy says if those are yellow instead of green, the tree isn't healthy.  Apparently Austrian pines are prone to disease so at least now we know what to look for.  

Then there's the silver maple.  I knew I wasn't going to hear good news about that.  They're troublesome trees.  And huge.  And close to $2000 to remove.  Ours is dying and when (not if) it falls, it'll hit the house and possibly both of our cars.  Not only that, it'll shear off the side of the healthy sugar maple next to it.  Dammit.  Those two have been friends for years!  (See bottom photo- they're hugging!)  Sigh.  We decided to wait at least one more year.  We love this troublesome tree.  Meanwhile, the sugar maple was planted too deeply so we need to dig down at least six inches to find the "flare" before that one gets sick too.

The catalpa:  The bad news:  It's hollow and dying.  The good news:  It's probably got a ways to go yet and won't hit anything but the road if it falls on its own.  Also, it's so close to the road that removal is the county's problem, not ours.

The pines in front (top photo):  The two at the edges are blue spruce.  The two in the center are Norwegian pines.  The spruces- can you guess by now?  They're dying.  Canker or some such shit.  Tree Guy recommends removal, of course.  Says the Norwegians will be healthier without the competition anyway.  

The "birch" near neighbors driveway:  Isn't a birch.  It's a poplar.  He called them "the dandelion of trees."  Great.  I happen to like dandelions, at least the ones that aren't in my flower beds.  They have a lot of value.  I begin to dislike Tree Guy.

The buckthorns, aka fuckthorns:  I read that they're a non- native invasive.  We've been working on eradicating them for the past few years.  Tree Guy says at this point they're so successful that they're now considered natives.  Um.  Now I'm raising one eyebrow and making a face like a cat's ass.

The poison ivy creeping up the other silver maples by the creek and in the back yard:  Tree Guy says Round Up is fine to use on those.  "It's just Glyphosate," he says.  If you're still using Round Up, PLEASE do click on that link and have a read.  He also pointed out a hole about the size of a tennis ball in a rather large branch, the work of a pileated woodpecker.  Tree Guy says that branch will fall (and probably land on a car). 

The tree that's been growing sideways since the ice storm uprooted it:  Ash.  It'll die from exposed roots or the dreaded ash borer.

Oh, and remember why I called him in the first place?  $350 to remove the dead birch.  Ya, I don't think so, Certified Arborist.  I will be calling a Tree Guy who'll do it more cheaply AND cut it up for the woodstove.  Well that was a cheerful tour then, wasn't it?  

PS:  Certified Arborist had a booger hanging from his nose for the first few minutes of our "landscape analysis".  I couldn't look at him when he was talking to me.  Finally got it after a few swipes of the sleeve.  Gross.

No comments: