Thursday, August 11, 2011

Building


I used to be so afraid of wasps and thought that they had no good purpose like honeybees do.  But no:  "Almost every pest insect species has at least one wasp species that preys upon it or parasitizes it, making wasps critically important in natural control of their numbers, or natural biocontrol. Parasitic wasps are increasingly used in agricultural pest control as they prey mostly on pest insects and have little impact on crops."*  

We don't spray their nests anymore unless they are way too close to us- this one right on the deck probably won't be allowed to stay, but I had to get a picture of his work.  I think it's beautiful.  (And I wish my mister had taken the camera.  He'd have gotten a much better shot!)

2 comments:

Red Blogger said...

Hmm, my parents had a huge wasp nest in one of the trees on their drive. It got sprayed ! Had to be done.

cottage gardener said...

Awesome picture....Kudos.....sorry he can't co-exist with you....his bad, poor planning!